[Buddha-l] non-entanglement, motherhood and right livelihood

d f tweney dylan at tweney.com
Sun Oct 9 09:13:40 MDT 2005

Stormy, this is not a woman's topic of necessity -- but of course it is
an agonizing choice that women have to make far more than men. If more
fathers had equal responsibility for raising their children then they,
too, would face such choices.

Thich Nhat Hanh tells a story, in one of his books, of talking to a
friend with a young daughter who is consuming much of the new father's
time. The man is wistful, wondering when he will ever find time to do
things for himself (such as, I assume, meditate -- but maybe also write
poetry, read books, or watch football). Hanh's answer is that the
father has to start thinking about the time he spends with his daughter
as *his* time too -- in short, to be fully present in the moment and to
do active meditation by being fully engaged in the time he spends with
his daughter. That way, Hanh says, this time will no longer be
something "taken away" from the man's "own" time.

It's a beautiful answer -- but as the father of a 4 1/2 year old
daughter, I find it unsatisfying. Perhaps I'm just too entangled in my
own projects and my desires to complete them, while still wanting to be
a good father and spend time with my daughter. But still. If she takes
an hour and a half to get settled into sleep in the evening instead of
thirty minutes, I have that much less time to read about Buddhism, for
instance, or to catch up on email messages with my friends.

Perhaps this is why people become monks.

--dylan.

dylan tweney    dylan at tweney.com

blog:  http://dylan.tweney.com
haiku:      http://tinywords.com