[Buddha-l] Re: Pennsylvania and crying Buddhas

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 6 18:27:50 MDT 2005

Jamie,

You ask--as always--tough questions. For me, this question of what
constitutes Buddhahood has remained central to my intellectual and
existential path for over twenty years now...and yet I have very few
clues as to any answers. I have a feeling Buddhahood is like
pornography: hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

My current (in the sense of "present," but also "fluid and muddy")
thinking is influenced by a few primary sources. Here are the three
that come to mind:

1) Doogen Zenji's seeming definition of Buddhas as those who embody the
Buddha way *right now in this moment*. I particularly love comments
like

    When Buddhas are truly Buddhas they do not necessarily notice that
they are
    Buddhas. However, they are actualized Buddhas, who go on actualizing
Buddhas.
    (Genjoo Kooan 2)

and

    There is a simple way to become a Buddha: When you refrain from
unwholesome
    actions, are not attached to birth and death, and are compassionate
toward
    all sentient beings, respectful to seniors and kind to juniors, not
excluding
    or desiring anything, with no designing thoughts or worries, you
will be called
    a Buddha. Do not seek anything else.
    (Birth and Death 5)

2) The notion, as put forth by John Holt (_Discipline: The Canonical
Buddhism of the Vinayapitaka_, Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1981), that
following the Vinaya is embodying Buddhahood. Indeed, that following
the rules, adapting the habitus of the monk, removes the ahamkaara and
its intentionality. One ceases to create karma and eventually achieves
kilesa-nirodha. That's pretty close to Buddhahood. I imagine these are
the sort of people Bhante Gunaratana was thinking of as arhats (yes, I
know, only "close" to being Buddhas, but, from a Theravada perspective,
this is as close as one can get these days, no?)

3) D. W. Winnicott's psychodynamic ideas on human development,
including his vision of the interpersonal nature of our psyches and
thus the apotheosis of the person in relationships of love and play. (I
realize this is not Buddhism per se, but for me it articulates, from a
different perspective, the freedom I see in some highly advanced
contemporary Zen practitioners. Are they "Buddhas"? Not all the time,
certainly, but they don't seem to care about the word "Buddhahood," and
if they don't, why should I? [Perhaps because they've got something I
want, perhaps because I'm an incurable egghead, that's why; but those
are my problems and need not detain you.])

Best wishes for what will no doubt be a rich seminar,

Franz